Tuesday, January 17, 2012

First post!!!

  I'd like to start off by saying hello and welcome to my blog. My name is Stevan, currently 22 years of age, and basically what I've created this blog for, is the discussion of music related topics. And as such I will cover things including: my views on music, the creation of music, suggestions for improving your playing or composing, my views on the music business/industry, my current music projects, music releases/suggestions of who to listen to, and other assorted topics.

So a little about me as a musician and person...

  Ever since I was young I had a love affair with music. When I was two I had a little guitar that I'd run around my grandmother's house. From about the ages of about 6-9 my parents had a little Yamaha Keyboard in our house. I was always fascinated with it and always had fun trying to learn the songs that were built in. Also around that time my sister began learning Violin, which was another thing that influenced my interests. Later in my life I played in concert bands, jazz bands, and marching band. Now I'm currently a college student working on trying to get a degree in music production. And so early on, my young and developing mind grew an appreciation for music and that in form led me to take up learning music, and that led to me wanting pursue music later in life, which eventually led to part of who I am today.

  Over the past years, I've played an assortment of instruments, have taken multiple music classes (from theory to recording) and have composed for many genres. Of the instruments I've played/play, are: clarinet, tenor sax, guitar, bass, and (some) percussion/drums. Genres I've written for: metal, hard rock, blues, punk, classical, drum and bass, and dubstep. I enjoy playing so many instruments, because it helps with writing. And I enjoy writing for many genres, because I feel you can always take from one genre and find a way to apply it to another. My writing style tends to focus around minor keys, awkward time signatures, complex rhythms, key, chordal, and modal modulation, dissonance (sometimes unresolved), and creating themes. My playing style when it comes to guitar tends to compliment that. I like to utilize space, extended harmonic and melodic passages, diminished runs, unresolved tritones, ambience and long drawn out notes using short, fast vibrato. Along with that I'll use lines influenced from the shred movement (usually influenced by the likes John Petrucci or Steve Vai).

  As for my musical influences. They span all the way from movie composers, like Danny Elfman to metal bands, like Veil of Maya, and electronic producers similar to Photek. I have a love for jazz and classical music, as much as I love drum and bass and metal. For me there is no one genre, I have to try them all and listen to them all (yes, even country). For guitar, I really don't have one specific influence. I try to take in all I listen to and apply it. And sometimes that's even from players of other instruments.

  And now for me as a person in general. While I love music and have pursued it almost religiously my whole life, I also have other interests (which sometimes do or do not influence my music). A lot of what I like to do in my free time when not concerned with music is: watch movies, read (I'm as much a voracious reader as I am musician), anime, comic books and graphic novels, writing short stories and poetry, drawing, etc.

  So I hope that gives an overall idea of what kind of person I am when it comes to music. Before I end this I want to make this statement. My overall goal is not to change your perception of music and what you believe. Everyone has different ideas as to what's the right way and wrong way. And to be honest, over the years I've learned that there is no right or wrong way, just your way. My goal with this is though, to maybe help people try and better understand themselves and others as musicians. I can't change what you think and whether you agree or disagree with me is not the point. The point is for you to try and establish your own views. And if you get something out of this, then I feel good and I hope you feel good. If not, oh well.

  Overall I hope to establish a good following from this and I hope that people can maybe learn and expand their horizons further when it comes to music.

 Thank you to the people who read this first post.

No comments:

Post a Comment